Friday, November 04, 2005

Training Update

So... let's see...

Orion had class again Wed. night. It started off very poorly, lots of barking and freaking out about everyone being too close. But I think I managed it pretty well. He seemed to come around. We stepped out into the hall a number of times during the night, but were in the training room for more of the class than last time. He heeled pretty well, and I gave him more of a choice about it than I usually do (more leash slack), and he did choose to heel, most of the time! He did very well, there were more frequent tense moments than last time, but overall I think we got in more behaviors. More responses I think is an improvement. Yeah! So all improvement is wonderful. I should've written more about the class right after it happened, but, I didn't get motivated enough until now.

Tonight I taught him to slap my hand with his foot in a quick clicker session, in which I rewarded him with his squeaky hamburger, his absolute favorite toy. Then we just played for a while and then he offered a new behavior of diggin on a pillow on the couch, which I was thrilled with, because he hardly ever offers new behaviors!!! So digging earned him the hamburger too. The next time he touched the pillow really hard with his nose and I rewarded that too. Again, new and different. I really want to see more creativity from him, and I'm glad for anything he offers. The next time he jumped into my lap, which is something he never does!! So that earned him the toy, too. I want him to eventually learn to jump up into my arms, but he has to learn to jump into my lap first!!! So yeah, I'll try to write again sooner next time... details slip my mind the longer I wait...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home